Our customers are designers, contractors, building developers as well as building owners and managers.
Our advisory services can provide the following effects:
- reduced building operation costs
- optimisation of investment solutions
- reduction of the negative influence of buildings on the environment
- improvements in the quality of the environment inside the buildings
Multi-criteria certifications – LEED, BREEAM
We provide advisory services related to LEED, BREEAM and WELL certification processes covering new and existing buildings, as well as the interior design of office and retail space.
For newly-constructed buildings, our experts draw up analyses of certification perspectives, provide advice during the design and construction process and coordinate the implementation of requirements of selected certification systems. With the progress of design work, they supervise the progress of the certification process and draw up comprehensive documentation necessary for the evaluation. The ultimate result of cooperation with JW+A is the achievement of the LEED, BREEAM or WELL certificate. This is possible thanks to a qualified, interdisciplinary team that has over ten years of experience collected in course of work on dozens LEED and BREEAM investments, as well as close cooperation with all participants in the process.
In existing buildings, our experts conduct evaluations and analyses of building operation for the purpose of checking the extent, to which requirements of the selected certification system are fulfilled. Then, they draw up recommendations aimed at improving operating efficiency and the mode of management of a building, as well as help in implementing them. The result of cooperation is the BREEAM In-Use International certificate or the LEED O+M certificate for existing buildings.
After a certificate is obtained, our specialists support the building managers and owners in its maintenance and continued improvement of operational efficiency.
Wellness certificates – WELL and Fitwell
For buildings and retail spaces, in particular office space, certified specialists from JW+A provide advice both in terms of achievement of multi-criteria certificates as well as those focused on health, comfort and well-being of employees. This second category includes WELL and Fitwell certificates. The broad scope of the concept of wellness is of particular importance for service providers, whereby an investment in health and well-being can provide a high rate of return. This is thanks to a reduction of instances of sick leave and improvements in productivity in a healthy working environment.
Analyses and expert opinions in course of LEED and BREEAM certifications and optimisation as well as support in the investment process
Beside standard activities in terms of planning, construction and operation of an investment, building certification more often than not requires broad evaluation supported by analyses and expert opinions supporting the design process. Their scope may include:
- The energy model, meaning, a precise simulation of the building’s energy consumption through hourly, dynamic calculations of energy consumption for the entire year. Energy models are required in the certification process, and thanks to them one not only receives points confirming the relevant building standard, but is also able to consciously and economically make decisions as to its technical details and standards
- Building life cycle assessment (LCA). In course of such an evaluation, the influence of the building on the environment is evaluated – not only in terms of its operation, but also construction, the production of materials necessary for this purpose, and its demolition. The use of natural, locally-sourced materials and the avoidance of excess consumption are just some of the recommendations from a LCA. They serve at the same time the improvement of the environmental value and economic optimisation of a building.
- Life Cycle Cost (LCC). This is an analysis of costs of the utilised solutions, not only in terms of construction, but also operation. Here, the usage of solutions that are more economic in the long term is preferred. Such an evaluation may constitute the perfect tool to identify areas, in which the improvement of a building’s standard shall bring about real savings over the entire life cycle.
- Evaluation of availability of daylight through dynamic computer simulations. Such an evaluation shows key parameters related to the intensity and availability of daylight in a building, and permits such a selection of the form, parameters of the facade as well as the transparent components in general, that would ensure the best possible working conditions and optimum availability of daylight.
- Analysis of thermal comfort influencing key parameters influencing the comfort and well-being of building occupants. This value permits the identification of areas under threat of discomfort and to limit or completely avoid the emergence of negative phenomena, such as high air flow velocities, high temperature or humidity differences.
- Artificial light pollution analysis, permitting an evaluation of the degree, in which a building and its adjoining areas emit light towards the sky and outside of the border of the investment area. Excessive or wrongly selected illumination brings about a range of negative effects for man and the environment, and its improvement permits responsible and sustainable design in harmony with the area around the building.
- Acoustic and ecological analyses. JW+A cooperates with acoustics and ecology specialists, who perform analyses and expert evaluations concerning the needs of the certification as well as building design and operation processes.
Commissioning, is independent oversight of design, construction and start-up of systems responsible for a building’s energy consumption. JW+A experts have long years of experience permitting them to support customers both during certification processes as well as to function as independent experts or coordinators of the commissioning process.
Qualifications and certifications
The team at JW+A is composed of thirteen specialists in the areas of architectural design, sanitary systems, energy efficiency and project management.
JW+A is a member of organisations of experts on green building and promoting sustainable development. These are the USGBC (U. S. Green Building Council), BRE (BRE Group Limited, UK body managing the BREEAM certification system), and the PLGBC (Polish Green Building Council). Our experts are also members of other industry bodies such as the Chamber of Architects of the Republic of Poland or the Urban Land Institute.
JW+A experts are accredited as BREEAM International New Construction and BREEAM In-Use, International Assessors, certified specialists in the areas of BREEAM AP, WELL AP and LEED AP in the fields of design of buildings and retail interiors (meaning, BD+C and ID+C), they also hold unlimited design licences in the field of architecture.